Tuesday, December 8

Home made beeswax candles

A few years ago, I heard that the candles or tea lights, made of paraffin wax, are kind of bad for your health. Paraffin is a petroleum by-product and releases al kinds of nasty chemicals when being burned (like toxic benzene) and it also releases smoke and soot. A much healthier alternative are candles made from beeswax or soy wax. They don't release chemicals and they kind of 'clean' the air.

It took me a while to find a beekeeper in the vicinity that sells pure beeswax (you can also buy unfiltered beeswax, but then of course you have to filter it first). An online search on Google and YouTube usually does the trick for guiding me through the process. (You can find a tutorial here and here.) Because I was going all natural with this I also decided not to use a wick holder (as seen in the video), but to stick the wick down to the bottom with a bit of tape.
They're very easy to make and they smell good! I decided to give away some of them as Christmas presents: some to fancy up the wrapping or just as a little gift.

Linking up with Nicole.

3 comments:

  1. Those will make perfect gifts! Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh they do have a gorgeous glowing light - perfect for gifts :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. they are so very pretty! gorgeous gift to give and one I'd love to receive :)

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comment!