Sunday, December 13

DIY: Christmas Clay Ornaments


About seven years ago I made clay ornaments to decorate my tree. It just happened out of the blue, I felt like making something with clay and that was the result. While I was living with my parents-in-law for four years, they decorated their tree with the ornaments. Recently we moved so I took all my ornaments with me but I made a set of 8 new ornaments to give them as - one of the - thank you presents for letting us stay with them.
Anyway, it took me a week to make them, because I used air-dry clay and -of course, distracted me- bought terra clay in stead of white clay, wherefor it needed two layers of white paint before I could decorate them with golden paint. Include the drying time of the clay and white and gold paint layers and a layer of varnish and you're busy for a week ;-) I used several materials that I had left from years of collecting all little things. I save everything when I get a present. I was once given a very kitchy Christmas wreath and I totally took it apart and saved the bits and pieces I could once use for crafting).

The box pictured above caught my eye in the crafts store in the wooden department. It only costed 3-4 euros. The dark oak varnish I bought in a local DIY store. First I removed the lock and hinges and then I polished the box with sand paper. It got two layers of varnish.
Once everyting was painted and varnished properly, I filled the box with some strawy filling that was in a basket my mom gave me earlier that week. (Whenever I say I'm going to craft, she gets all excited and jumbles her attic to get rid of things she doesn't need, which benefits me of course!)
Before the clay ornaments are all dry, I put in a wire so they have this little ring or hook to thread a golden ribbon.
And last but not least, I found a little bag of wooden green trees. A layer of golden paint and some glue on the back and it makes a perfect decoration for the inside of the box, don't you think?

4 comments:

  1. I would love to be as creative as you!! I love the clay ornaments and the pretty box they are placed in :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, your talent astounds me! Love these so much!!

    Linda in VA

    ReplyDelete
  3. SO gorgeous! The wooden box is the perfect storage for such pretty ornaments.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are gorgeous! I'll probably have a christmas tree for the first time in decades next year and I hope to make some ornaments for it too. Hopefully as pretty as yours :)

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comment!