Saturday, July 4

The challenge: indoor gardening

Growing tomatoes completely indoors is quite the challenge. Last year, I already tried it and it didn't work out that well. Probably because I kept on watering them and the plants got so big too quickly that they didn't have many flowers, and thus, not so many cherry tomatoes.
This year, I took the time to learn a bit more about growing cherry tomatoes indoors. I had nice plants already in May and a few flowers that were even pollinated (I hope I'm using correct verb for what I'm trying to say). I wanted to put them outside, because I thought they were strong enough and outside the chance of bees and other winged insects flying from flower to flower would give a larger harvest. But, luckily I didn't do that because the month of June gave a few thunderstorms in which the plants would have probably snapped. I made sure that I opened up the window once a day and I tapped the flowers myself a bit.
I've also planted some rocket inside. A week ago I've put it outside, because it didn't work out indoors.

Do any of you have experience in indoor gardening?

7 comments:

  1. Not in full on indoor gardening, but the tomatoes that we started indoors were growing very small baby tomatoes before we ever brought them outside. That was surprising! They were growing in a cookie tray (the commercial kind, with the three troughs, like Chips Ahoy).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Baby tomatoes are very rewarding I think. Especially for beginners in gardening. H

      Delete
  2. Thunderstorms wreaked my struggling tomato plants too - they haven't recovered yet. But the basil I have is doing great despite the heat and storms

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww too bad, those storms. Luckily you still have the basil!

      Delete
  3. I wish I had something indoors but I only have houseplants that are a struggle for me not to over water. We did not put in a garden this year :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. The key to indoor tomatoes my father will tell you is getting them enough sunlight. Good luck with them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, didn't know you could grow tomatoes inside! That's wonderful! The only indoor plants that seem to work for me are succulents, everything else always dies on me.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comment!