Monday, May 25

Sock Challenge 9/12 - May

This month's pair of socks for the sock challenge are my first toe up socks. I encountered many knitting problems and this pair has been ripped out many times and I'm still not satisfied. I used scraps from my Drizzly Day Socks and my C&H Socks.


When knitting the second sock  I suddenly had a clear moment and thought about Roy Lichtenstein. The yellow, white and blue-white speckled yarn probably triggered an artisitc cell in my brain telling me that this color spectrum suspiciously looks like the pop-art of master Lichtenstein. Finding out I had some red left overs from Malabrigo Sock yarn, I incorporated red lines into the pattern. to make it even more comic book -like.
Little did I know, when starting the short row heel, that it was going to be a struggle to match up the lines perfectly. Which, of course, didn't happen. Also, for the second sock I used a trick to make the jogging a little less noticable when knitting stripes with two seperate yarn colors. But it still isn't perfect like in the numerous YouTube videos I watched.

Oh well, I do like the cast on (Judy's Magic Cast On) and the bind off (Tubular Bind Off for 1x1 ribbing).

14 comments:

  1. beautiful socks and I love the red stripes tucked in the one :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. These socks look perfect to me. I love the inspiration for the colors!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the colours you choose, so smart to put in that line of red. And I've never managed to get perfect jogless stripes, I've tried several methods already.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loove these colours, very cute! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That stripe of red was inspired ... I'm loving these :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE these, great colour combintion!

    ReplyDelete
  7. When I first glanced at your socks, I had this deja vu feeling... and then when I read your comment, I had this Aha! moment! Very cool.
    Can I ask you what most troubled you about these socks? Was it because they were toe-up socks? I'm asking as I've not yet knitted a pair of toe-up socks. I so love knitting socks, almost a mindless - or perhaps mindfulness - activity, that I hate to ruin it by switching the whole thing around!
    I've included you as a link on my site: crookedneedles.net
    Thanks for your great site!
    Jo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment. I had the biggest trouble with knitting the heel. First I wanted a heel flap-gusset heel, but did something wrong and since I was knitting without a pattern, I couldn't find the right pattern with my stitch count (I guess I was too lazy recalculating) ;-) So then I decided to do a short row heel, which I've done before, but found a nice tutorial where you pick up your wraps differently. Of course the first few pick ups went alright but then I got confused. Afteral, the red line that split over the heel got me confused too, but I managed to knit it just like I wanted. BUT after finishng the sock, I put it on and noticed that that red strip of the heel on top of the foot was thinner then the other blue stripes. I still don't know how that could have happened, because it has two rounds of color just like the other stripes...Thank you for the link on your site!

      Delete
  8. Oh my, these are my dream socks!! From the looks of it, all the trouble these gave you was worth it. I have been thinking about how pretty gray and white striped socks with solid gray heels and toes would be, but here you took that and made it even better. I love the yellow toes and cuffs and pops of red. Someday, maybe I'll knit a pair like these.

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are fun! Love the red stripe, so clever. Jogless stripes ar never truetype jogless in my opinion, i use a trick i found on YouTube (link below) and it helps but if you look closely you still see a little jog... Better, but not perfect!

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PjA0IR0MOU

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *truely (instead of truetype ;))

      Delete
  10. I absolutely ADORE these socks. I have only knit 2 pair so far and am now on pair 3 (ever). I started with toe-up and really like that method. The current pair is top-down to see what I think ... so far, I do prefer the toe-up way. Anyway, these socks are absolutely adorable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the sweet comment. Enjoy your sock knitting!

      Delete

I appreciate your comment!