Wednesday, May 6

Nature along

Today I woke up early to go to our house in construction to open our windows, so the stucco could dry. The house is nearly ready for cement screed floors so we're almost at the end of the building process. Almost, I know, screed has to dry, we need to paint all the walls, install all the sanitary & kitchen furniture, not forget to tile the floors first :-), but still...I'll be happy that I won't be hopping over the water supply and electricity pipes anymore. Moving date will be around September. 

We're building in a residential area, but in walking proximity (two streets!) there is a small nature park (about 60 ha) with a lot of ponds and cattle set out to graze. I did a short morning walk because it was such a beautiful sunny day. It had been a long time that I actually had the time to go out for a walk, which sounds kind of strange, but it really is. I enjoyed it so much.


I also cast on my May socks. This month I wanted to learn how to knit toe-up socks. I used Judy's Magic Cast-on and used stash yarn. The grey yarn didn't really turned out to be the sock yarn I had in mind (I tried to use this yarn for so many projects and it never works out, it's ripped yarn from my Amélie top and I don't know what to do with it!)
So I ripped out the socks and cast on again with other stash sock yarn. I've reached the heel 3 times (yes, 3 times and tried a Dutch heel/ Fleedge heel/...) somehow I messed it up after the heel turn and argh, I ripped it out again and I'll be doing a short row heel. By ripping out so many times, starting over again and googling about toe-up socks I did learn a few more things which, in the end, is a bonus!
Thank you all for the comments on my previous post!

Happy knitting you all!
x

12 comments:

  1. gosh and gee! I love the colors you are knitting with. I do not do toe up because I am a die hard lover of cuff down and dpns....but you know that. I believe you will master all of this by the next yarn along. How exciting to be moving along with the house construction!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I'm a firm believer of dpn's too :-) I just wanted to do a toe-up sock at least once in this sock challenge, you know, just to know what it is like. I do love the shaping of the toe, and I'm not yet sure what type of cast off I'll be doing at the cuff.

      Delete
  2. Hello cows! Good morning trees! :) Beautiful colour of yarn, can't wait to see how they turn out. I've never done a toe up sock before.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like the toe you are using - what type of shaping is that? I hope this time works out better for you. You will be a toe up natural by the time you're done. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brandy. I cast on 8 stitches. Then knit 1 round and afterwards I started increasing by kfb, knit to 2 sts before the end of the needle, kfb, k1. For the second needle I did the same (except that I put those sts on two needles). I increased every round until I had 36 sts. Then I increased every other round until I had 48 sts. At last I increased every two rounds until I had 56 sts. I think it's called a wedge toe, although I'm not completely sure it is one :-D I tend to knit by trial and error and pick up things from different patterns.

      Delete
  4. That looks like a beautiful piece of nature, where is it exactly? And good to see the ripping as a learning experience! Although I can manage toe up socks I think I really prefer top down for some reason.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I find it also hard to actually find the time to enjoy a nice walk... Only during exams the need is so high that I make time for it. Your yarn pouch is very pretty by the way :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. really liking toe up now that I've figured out Judy's magic cast on! short row heel for the win (i've found a new fave way to do it which I'm way to excited about lol) are those going to be stripy socks? coolest idea!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful nature walk! So many exciting this are going to come with your new home. September is right around the corner!
    Your socks look fantastic. Well done you for trying new techniques.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't wait to see these socks! They look fun!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fingers crossed your moving date comes fast and you will finally get to enjoy your house :) Isn't it amazing how a simple walk can make the world right again? Love the colours you picked for your socks - I'd never have the patience to knit and rip out so many times, I admire people like you who can do it and keep working till they end up with something perfect :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh wow, those cows in the fields look so idyllic! what a luxury to have that so nearby. I hope the rest of the construction goes smoothly! Your socks are looking awesome, by the way.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comment!