Tuesday, April 21

Sock Challenge 8/12 - April


For my April socks I wanted something green (that represents Spring and grass) and I wanted a stitch pattern to go with it (something mossy - seed stitch like- but only for the front part of the sock).

So I tried a few things and struggled a bit with my regular number of cast on stitches (because the yarn is a bit heavier than fingering sock yarn - it's a light worsted yarn) but I managed to knit socks that fit me, maybe a bit loose on the leg part, although they keep up, but definitely a good fit on the foot part.
I love the color and I learned a few new things:

  • first time knitting my own pattern (very simple pattern must I admit) :-)
  • first time knitting socks with something different than a fingering weight sock yarn
  • and therefor recalculating my number of stitches
  • need to practice on kitchener stitch with this heavier yarn, I have more bumps on each side
  • I should have made the cuff longer, or even a folded cuff would look nice on this pattern.
Next pair of socks need to be challenging too: I want to try knitting toe-up socks. I've never done that before, so I'm browsing through several patterns, but haven't made a decision yet.

Name: Mali Traven Socks
Pattern: my own
Yarn: Schachenmayr Universa (Dk/light worsted, 21-24sts st st = 4 inches)

Linking up with Liesl and Nicole.

17 comments:

  1. Beautiful - I love your simple pattern and brilliant to work out all the math to get them to fit - well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It wasn't so much match :) but I'm happy they fit!

      Delete
  2. They look really great. I have some green yarn lying around and now I'm envious. I really like the texture on the front. Keeps them interesting and rustic and comfy looking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Brandy. The stitch pattern is really thick too, so they're warmer than my other socks.

      Delete
  3. These socks are my very favorite color!! Perfect pattern, too. Great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do love this fresh green color. Neat that you learned something new, always fun to get a new feather in your hat :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! I'm so impressed with your skills in designing these beautiful socks. I, too, love the color and the stitch pattern. I've recently discovered 6 ply sock yarn and it's a joy to knit with. Sending you my best wishes :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the combination of your socks and boots! And they are indeed very springy :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh love that pair! seed stitch is my favorite <3
    Toe up is really cool, Judy's magic cast on is just so neat!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I was leaning towards the provisional cast on, but I've heard of Judy's magic cast on too, have to look it up!

      Delete
  8. might be simple but the pattern is striking along with the color of the socks, well done!! I love them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love these. Green is my favourite colour and this shade makes me so happy just looking at it. I think the idea of the moss stitch combined with this colour worked out so well. Also, I LOVE your boots!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you, green is one of my favourite colors too. And the mossy stitch worked very well with this yarn.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love that in addition to challenging yourself to knit a pair a month, that you are also trying new techniques and designing your own.
    Those socks are beautiful, Ine!

    ReplyDelete
  12. These turned out great! I love the green.

    ReplyDelete
  13. They're soo pretty, Ine! Green is one of my favourite colours recently and these socks look perfect. Congrats on knitting your own pattern, wow!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comment!