Monday, March 2

Such a fine line


I think I lost a bit of my drawing skills. Is that possible? I always thought that I could just pick up where I left. Apparently not, I have to 'get in' again :-)

On the left side is a 2006 portrait on 150 g/m² paper with graphite pencils. On the right side is a 2015 portrait (unfinished) on 160 g/m² paper with graphite pencils. Although I don't think that the paper's weight is th├át much of a difference, I have trouble with shading, graininess and building up tones.

Earlier, I remember wanting to draw life like but didn't like creating a very smooth way of shading by smoothing out your graphite or by smudging to get shadows etc. (Cross)hatching and not smudging felt more natural to me then just whiping a piece of cloth/tissue/... over some graphite to get an even tone (but this sounding very simple to do, this technique isn't easy either, I think I've never mastered it and that's probably why I don't like it). I also tried the blended circulism method for shading once, that takes a lot of time! So I guess I'm still in a bit of an impasse on that matter.

6 comments:

  1. Your pencil creates magic on paper....simply beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that goes for most things, you never forget how to ride a bike, but you'll be uncomfortable and wobbly at first! Your drawings are amazing! :D I really really like the cross hatching in your drawing, I've never been a big fan of smooth shading myself, but that's just my personal opinion ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with lilirious, you never forget a learned skill. But I bet it's a bit rusty and with practice and time you will be back better than before. However, all of your drawings look perfect to me :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree, you always get better with practice, somehow we always need to find our groove again. Happens to me with photography a lot too! Your work is amazing though, 2006 and 2015 both :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I discovered the same thing about my drawing last week. :/ It'll come back. Just keep at it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is very impressive. It's probably to be expected that it takes a bit getting into the swing of things again, but the 2015 portrait looks amazing as well.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comment!