Tuesday, February 3

A knitting confession


I have a knitting confession to make...I did the unthinkable and frogged my Amélie. Yes, you read that right: I frogged Amélie, a project that took me months to finish. It had lots of difficulties for a beginner knitter like me. I think I started over 3 times and was very confused in the lace part because I did the yarn over wrong.
Afteral, I was happy to finish it and it even fitted and the project got me my most favourites on my Ravelry project page. But...I never wore it. It was way too warm! After frogging I used the yarn for lots of other projects and frogged them too before finishing them, because it just didn't feel right. I think I now have found the right project for it: A shawl. It's my first triangle shawl and to be honest I found it very difficult to start with (although it's an easy peasy pattern!!) It took me about the knitted rows on the above photo to figure out where exactly I was in the shawl. I'm happy though, that there is a resemblance with the pattern project photo, that's kind of reassuring.




Linking up with Nicole.

16 comments:

  1. Frogging sometimes feels like the most frustrating thing to do, but most often it is the right thing. I am glad you have found the right pattern for your yarn, I hope it turns out to be the perfect project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The yarn is perfect for a shawl. I still have plenty of it left :-)

      Delete
  2. I have one project like that that I love but think that I might need to frog because I never wear it either - I just looked at your Amelie top though and it is beautiful - tough decision indeed :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh I had the same issue with yarn overs! it took me like 3 projects to figure out something was wrong haha (I laugh now, but ripping everything back was a pain in the ass!) Hope you'll love the shawl :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes those yarnovers kept me busy for weeks! Unbelievable.

      Delete
  4. I've been there and I'm glad you ripped it out and now can relove the yarn in another form. I am amazed when ripping out knitting how quickly it rips compared to how l o n g it takes to knit it...

    ReplyDelete
  5. It can be so painful to rip out something you spent so much time working on, but hopefully this new project will get much more use. Otherwise, it's just sad to see the project and the yarn sitting there unused. Where's the good in that? Plus, you still had the great experience of knitting the project that helped you grow in your craft. Happy knitting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True, I did learn a lot of things while knitting Amélie. As I did too with this shawl!

      Delete
  6. I think Brandy said everything I wanted to!
    Sometimes it is the experience of the knitting. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Unused things are just a waste. And a load on our souls. So, wise and brave lady, you did a good job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It was really a waste, lying there in my closet :-)

      Delete
  8. Even though you had to unravel your sweater, I'm sure you learned a lot just by knitting it. I too have a project that I've spent hours on only to undo all of it and start again with my yarn. The shawl you're making looks lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It was a lovely top, but I think you made the right decision. If you're not actually wearing it it's just a shame for that lovely yarn. You can always view it as great practice, and the new project will become just as lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am awed that you are willing to try so many different uses for some yarn. There is something so elegant about being so patient and trying different things.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think sometimes we are just to hard on our selves everything these days has to be "perfect". It can take the joy out of everything - if it's something that doesn't necessarily "wreck" the whole thing, who really cares and who will know? I commend you for redoing it and ripping it out- that is so tough. Your shawl looks beautiful.
    I also like the new touches to your blog :)

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comment!