Monday, November 3

When in Germany (Castles)


Being born in Belgium, a very small and surely humble country in Europe, I get used to the fact that our country is indeed small. One advantage is the proximity of foreign countries that offer lots of different cultures. Last week we spend a short holiday with my family in Germany. When my sister and I were little we used to frequent Germany during the Autumn holiday, especially in the Moselle area. I've got great memories of those holidays and it was great to revisit those areas with our whole family that has been expanded a bit now that we're grown up.


We visited 3 castles (Reichsburg Cochem, Kasselburg, Burg Eltz) and two wild fauna parks with lots of animals and a falconry. 




The castles were a great treat to the two small children of my sister (2 girls aged almost 3 and 5.5). They're fond of everything princess-like and especially the 5-year old's imagination was going wild when visiting the decorated rooms of Burg Eltz and Reisburch Cochem, two castles that remained fairly intact.
I think I shot about 650 photos in 5 days, way too many, but it was so beautiful there. So I tried to do a very narrow selection :)

Stay tuned for more posts about our holiday in Germany, especially about the wild fauna parks, the planes in Hermeskeil and our visit to Trier.

9 comments:

  1. Stunning. I think walking thru castles are one of my favorite things to do...you can just feel the history. I was born in Switzerland and my dad took me to many castles in Germany and Switzerland. I wish to go back one day and show my family...beautiful how you have captured the light Ine - this is a treat for a Monday morning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Camilla, it was hard to capture all of Autumn's beauty in a small amount of photos. And then I got many doubles, because in the morning it was quite foggy when I photographed the environment and when leaving it was sunny so I took the photos again :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, castles. Sometimes I miss Europe so bad. <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks lovely! You know, even though I live in Germany I have never been to those castles - you make me think I should really go visit them :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. goodness how beautiful, thank you for sharing these lovely photos of your visit.

    ReplyDelete
  6. gorgeous photos and I'd love to see a castle in real life one day. Green is really green in the photos :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those castles are incredible! I wish I lived anywhere close enough to visit such beautiful country and castles. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stunning pictures, I love the look of the castle. And I recognise the feeling of living in a small country as a Dutch person, but it is nice that we have all these big countries around us that we can visit.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So beautiful! And I've been the the Eltz. I went to Germany with my family when I was 16 and, being a day-dreamy teenager, insisted we visit as many castles as possible. We also went on a boat tour down part of the Moselle.
    I'm excited to catch up on your other Germany posts!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comment!