Saturday, August 23

Expect nothing and appreciate everything

When I started knitting Keynote back in May this year, I was thrilled -after only a year of self-taught knitting - that I was able to understand a knitting pattern, of a cardigan, with not only stockinette stitch, but with a twist and a raglan ànd a twist in the raglan ;-)

I measured myself multiple times, I swatched, changed to smaller needles, didn't do the full increases again after decreasing for my waist, because I am a bit petite. And still, it's too big again. Am I disappointed? Yes, of course I am. I mean, it took me 4 months of knitting.

But it got me thinking too: it's better to know and be disappointed, then to never know and always wonder. I also learned that when knitting the body in 4.0 mm metal needles, I should avoid to knit the sleeves in 4.0 mm wooden needles. It shows and I didn't know. (I have this weird opposite knitting thing going on: I can only knit in the round on 4 dpn's and I can knit back and forth the best on circulars.)


So I made myself a promise: from now on: only large and loosely cardigans, or socks. And maybe some mittens and a new hat attempt. Because, you know, Autumn is almost there. And I'm cold.


Keep on knitting!

x

12 comments:

  1. Linen grows horribly... (Same sad experience...) But your cardigan is beautiful! Happily, now is the wool time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I was already assuming that the linen had something to do with the cardigan being oversized. Oh well, I already finished another woolen knit bunny and a few hours ago I casted on some merino socks ;-) Thanks for the comment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just knit this cardigan. I think part of the problem is actually the pattern - for the back of the shoulders, at least. This is the only sweater/cardigan I've ever knit that doesn't have short rows in the back to make it a bit taller and better fitting across your shoulders. So this cardigan seems to sit loosely and low across the shoulders.

    I think your cardigan still looks nice, especially buttoned. Mine is the same - hanging in the front top which isn't that flattering. But I just button the top or third button and it looks much better (in my eyes). I hope your keynote still gets use. And don't feel too bad about it (it's not all your fault!).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the color way and the pattern- beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The knitting and the colour is beautiful!
    I think it will still look adorable as a slightly oversize cardigan :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry that the cardigan isn't what you wanted, but it sure does look fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Andi! I already unraveled the neckline and the buttonbands. I'm going to re-knit that, but I'll pick up less stitches. Hopefully it'll stay on my shoulders then, so I can still wear it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think it looks beautiful! I like slightly larger sweaters anyway. I don't think it looks too big at all. Great job! Next time you'll nail it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I still think it looks very good! It may not be what you expected, but it doesn't seem too big, just a different (more loose) style. And amazing that you're able to knit this within a year of teaching yourself how to knit! That gives me a bit more confidence to even start to learn how to knit.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you, Inge. Learning how to knit can be frightning at first, but once you can do it, it's so much fun! (Besides some disappointments like this one ;-) )
    But, again you learn from your mistakes. I'm knitting the borders of this cardigan again and it's looking better already!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh I still think taht your cardigan looks very pretty. Can't you wear it as a cosy cardigan? That would be perfect for the Fall. And I love the color that you choose!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks Melody, I'm actually reknitting the neckline and the bands. I still wouldn't suggest knitting this pattern in linen/cotton, oh well, I learn something new everytime I knit!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comment!