Sunday, February 16

Eskimo's Socks

Recently, my dearest friend, E. - I call her my Eskimo friend - turned 30 in January.
We've known each other since we were 14-15 years old and it's actually because of being her friend, I ended up in a relationship with her brother, for 11 years already.

There are very few people I've met or known, I'm so comfortable with. We've had the best of times, we've had the worst of times. Not a few times we've been comparing our lives with a Dawson's Creek episode about evolving in puberty or we tried to indulge ourselves into long-winded, complicated and far-fetched dialogues. After which we realized how ridiculous we actually sounded. Although our shared love and addoration for Pacey Witter is still alive, we've changed and evolved and grown into two adult women, with both nice jobs, and two fine men at our sides.

I’m proud of us. Of how we both competed against the beauty ideal as young girls, proud of how we both just want to be ourselves. And we’ve hurt each other too, by going through that journey. I regret the fact that I let our friendship water down a bit when I fell head over heels in love with her brother. I regret the fact that I didn’t visit her university dorm more often while we were studying in different cities. I regret the fact that I can be so selfish sometimes and admire her sweetness for everybody, her patience and her kind nature.
So I knitted a pair of socks for her 30th birthday :)

Red socks, because she’s a Winter girl, has dark brown hair, dark brown eyes. Red is just her colour.
Happy Birthday, E.!


 Yarn: Malabrigo Sock in Ravelry Red

7 comments:

  1. Sounds like you both have gone through what all besties do. The authentic relationships survive so I'd say that you've both come out winners to still have each other in your lives.

    Beautiful project! Cheers to your friend on her birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful and amazing story of your journey with your friend. Not many things can express the love we feel, like handmade knits do. Beautiful socks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ow dear, you made E. cry. That's really so sweet and nice of you. I really hope you know I feel the same way, but unfortunately I can't knit you some socks! I love them, and I love that beautiful color, but most of all, I love my Dandelion girl. And you know what I like the most about you? That you're totally real, there's nothing fake about you. Not in the way you look, or not in the way you are, you're just beautiful and you're just real, and I adore you for that.
    Stay real babe, and keep on knitting! And thanks for being my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They are just beautiful!! The color and pattern are gorgeous. Such a lovely story about you and your friend, may your friendship continue to stay strong for many many years!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nothing cozier than knit socks and friendship. I enjoyed this post a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful friendship. Those socks are perfect. And the perfect gift!

    ReplyDelete
  7. lucky friend. If any of my friends made this darling package for me on my birthday, I'd spend the rest of my life trying to do something just as nice for her. Lovely.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comment!