Saturday, August 31

To sew or not to sew?

I can't imagine being creative without learning how to sew. Being raised in a household where my mom was a stay-at-home mom, sewing lots of her own clothing and our clothing and later on starting to do repairments for clothing shops, it was bound to happen that one day, I wanted to start sewing :-)

Today was that day. I bought an in-step sewing machine, for an ultra beginner like me! After many words of encouragement and advice from my mom, I drove home with my new baby and started to install a sewing place. I got some scrap fabric to learn some stitches and started to just 'invent' something on the go, because I didn't really had a first project in mind. So the first 'thing' I sewed together can pass for a...bag kind-a-thing...yes, I think I can call it that. I added a button and a buttonhole so the bag has a function too: I can actually close and open it, aha,...functionality rocks!


Fiancé was quite impressed by all that sewing together thing talent, so I started looking for a real project to impress him even more ;-). Just to point out that a sewing whim was out of the question! Since I didn't have a pincushion yet, I started looking for how to make one. I still had some stuffing left from the Briar Bunny, so I thought I could give it a try. And I think it turned out well!




Do you like to sew or like to learn it?

5 comments:

  1. I agree with your comment that it was bound to happen! Similar story here. Great job on the pincushion!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I'd love to see your creations!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your first attempts at sewing are so much better than mine were! Thank goodness there were no digital cameras or no internet back then! I'm glad you're trying our sewing! It's great fun. :)
    This is a simple, fun project that doesn't require too much fabric or fancy skills. http://allsorts.typepad.com/allsorts/2006/11/crisscross_coas.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. […] To sew or not to sew? (apicturebookmind.wordpress.com) […]

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comment!